CERTIFICATE OF PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE – PHONICS
Certificate of Professional Practice – Phonics
Accredited by London Teacher Training College (LTTC, UK)
The course emphasizes the importance of phonics as a tool in effectively teaching young children to read. Participants will know the 3 types of decoding strategies. The strategies help beginning readers determine the oral equivalent (pronunciation) of a written word context knowledge, phonics knowledge, and sight-word knowledge. It provides techniques on how to develop the children’s early literacy skills in word recognition, pronunciation, reading and writing by using the concept of Howard Gardner’s multiple intelligences.
Introduce phonics principles and awareness through dramatic reading, reinforced by structured language arts games, songs, and play activities.
- be equipped with further understanding of phonics and decoding strategies
- get familiar with conceptual framework where they can create original lesson plans
- deliver lessons that develop language skills through songs, movement, games, talking and reading to children
- Different Methodologies and Approaches to Phonics
- Various Phonics Instructions
- Decoding Strategies
- Long and Short Vowels Sounds
- Hard and Soft Sounds
- Consonant & Vowel Diagraphs
- Vowel Diphthongs
- Onset and Rime
- Prefix and Suffix
- Syllabications and Spelling Rules
- Word Families
Mode of Delivery
- Classroom Presentation / Participation
- Forum Participation
- Lesson Planning
- Practicum / Practical Examination
- Written Theory Examination
Part-time study. 8 weeks in total, 1 session a week, 4 hours per session.
- Minimum 3 “O” levels with credit in English
- Any other recognised Certification, Diploma or Degree
- Mature candidates by interview and approval from the School
Upon successful completion of all lessons, Practical Examination and Theory Examination, candidates will be awarded a Certificate of Professional Practice – Phonics accredited by London Teacher Training College, along with a Transcript.