FAQ's - Cambridge International Certificate in Teaching and Learning (CICTL)

What is Cambridge International Certificate in Teaching and Learning (CICTL)?

Cambridge International Certificate in Teaching and Learning is a 4-month part time course for interested individuals who holds any recognised Certification, Diploma or Degree; and currently involved in any form of teaching or training activities; who wish to be qualified teachers/ tutors/ trainers.

This covers 3 units:

-Understanding Principals of Learning and Teaching

-Teaching an Effective Lesson

-Facilitating Active Learning Through Effective Teaching

Activities include lectures, tutorials, presentation, forum discussions and classroom practice and assignments.

It does not only help you to learn how to design and implement your own module but gives you tips and guidelines on how to become a good and marketable trainer as well.

This programme is a Certificate at Professional Level and will definitely upgrade your professional portfolio. It is directly accredited by the Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE, UK).

What type of qualification will I receive?

The CICTL cert is internationally recognised and not a local cert, though also strongly accepted in Singapore. The name and logo of the Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE, UK) is printed on your certificate.

We have many graduates who went on to teach in Universities, Polytechnics International Schools as well as do training in Multi-National Companies, using the Certificate.

Our Graduates have gone on to teach/train in:

* NPS International School, Singapore

* DPS International School

* NUS High School

* Management Institute of Singapore

* Mindchamps

* St Francis Methodist School

* Rosemount Kindergarten

* Overseas Family School

* Global Indian School

* Canadian International School

* Chatsworth International School

* British Council

* Republic Poly

* Nanyang Poly

* Temasek Poly

* Singapore Poly


* JuzMusic

* Creative Education

* Seedlings Patch

* SAE Institute of Singapore

* APMC Pte. Ltd.

* Line Fast Pte. Ltd.

* Scantruck Engineering Pte. Ltd.

* Aspial Corporation Ltd.

The course will give you more ideas and better lesson delivery, sharing of best global practices and ultimately an internationally recognized teaching qualification that you can use globally.

How “internationally” recognized is the CICTL?

The Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE, UK) is the same institution that conducts the GCE O and A Level (local and International versions) certification programmes worldwide. Their reputation is second to none in this field and they enjoy a high standing internationally. We have graduates who are now working in International Schools and other related institutions abroad because of the said international cert.

What subjects are taught in CICTL?

There are no academic subjects delivered within the programme. The units discuss a whole pedagogical / andragogical framework.

As a candidate, you choose your own domain area of expertise or main subject. You are taught how to design, develop, implement, assess and evaluate your own curriculum. We do not teach the “what”, but we teach you the “how”.

Are there exams for CICTL?

There are no formal theory exams. However, you are required to submit a teaching and learning digital portfolio. A template is provided. The trainer will vet through it first before final submission to Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE, UK).

Is there a higher Diploma after this Certificate in Teaching and Learning?

CICTL qualification is designed for practicing teachers. It has been proven to open many doors in the training and teaching world. Based on feedback from corporations as well as academic and tertiary institutions, many prefer their trainers and teachers to have a recognized teaching/training Cert as it would be evidence of skills learnt.

With the Certificate, many graduates are encouraged to advance their qualification in their fields of expertise instead of in education per se. We also encourage you to get a Master’s Degree in your professional field with the qualification.

A Cambridge International Diploma in Teaching & Learning is consequently designed for school leaders and educators. A candidate who have successfully completed CICTL, which is a pre-requisite can enrol in the CIDTL).

Will this course enhance my tutoring/ teaching career?

Yes, it enhances your existing qualifications in a specific subject area. It will give you better and more ideas in effectively delivering your lessons, especially if you incorporate them in your other subjects.

Can I teach in the government school using the CICTL?

You can teach in private schools, International Schools, and Polytechnics. Only NIE trained teachers can teach in government schools in Singapore. However, we have graduates who used the CICTL and CIDTT to get into the NIE program.

Are there other reading materials or resources the Centre provides aside from the CICTL course materials?

Yes. You can google or search for the following contents and subjects:

– Vygotsky and Bruner on the concept of ‘Scaffolding’

– Benjamin Bloom on ‘task design’

– Bloom’s Taxonomy

– Black and William’s on ‘praise sandwich technique’

– Ian Barker for interpretation of assessment results.

Why is GIG International School not listed in the CAIE website?

All Cambridge Centres are not listed in their website based on UK Privacy law.

However you can write in to CAIE for verification on the email address found in the CAIE website.

Do you have online course for CICTL?

We do not have one at the moment.

FAQ's - Preparatory Course for Diploma in TESOL

What is Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)?

TESOL is a 6 months part-time course teaching the participants English Language and the necessary methods of teaching it. This covers 4 modules: Language Theory, Language Teaching Methodology, Linguistics & Language Teaching and Classroom Planning & Organization.

What type of exams are provided in TESOL?

1st to 4th Module: Assignment-based with Tutor guidance

Peer Teaching: A candidate implements his or her 30-minute lesson plan to a group of live students which may be made up of their peers.

What other education or English programmes can I take after Diploma in TESOL?

You can proceed taking the Masters in TESOL. You can also pursue a Degree/ Masters in Education, specializing in Linguistics.

I have completed similar subjects in TESOL (under TEFL or CELTA) from other schools can I skip or be exempted in these subjects in the Diploma programme?

You need to send your transcript to us. GIGIS will then liaise with London Teacher Training College on possible module exemptions and will advise you accordingly. You need to undergo the required modules and complete them.

What is the difference between CELTA, TEFL and IELTS?

Certificate in English Language Teaching Adults (CELTA) is a Certificate and a common requirement for those who wish to have English Teaching Qualification. It is more on teaching English as a foreign language.

Teaching English as Foreign Language (TEFL) is an extension of the CELTA Cert. The programme is basically teaching students, whose English is not their first language. The teaching is normally done in their own country. This helps teachers to travel to countries open to learn the English language.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a standardised test of English language proficiency.

Are there other reading materials or resources the Centre provides aside from the TESOL course materials?

Yes. Students can also use language books authored by Jeremy Harmer and Jim Scrivener.

FAQ's - Diploma of Educational Studies (DOES)

What is the difference between Diploma of Educational Studies (DoES) and Certificate of Professional Practice (CoPP)?

The programme covers the state-of-the-art teaching methods in teaching children enrichment and integration programmes. Classes are once a week with 4 hours per session either on an evening or morning intake.

The difference is in the number of module(s) you take. You earn a Certificate of Professional Practice if you finish one module and pass the required assessment, while to earn you a Diploma of Educational Studies you are required to take 3 modules from the list and submit a dissertation paper – and you will be awarded 3 Certificate of Attendance together with your Diploma of Educational Studies.

Both Certificate and Diploma are accredited by the London Teacher Training College, U.K and is also recognized by the private schools (including International Schools in Singapore that run enrichment subjects).

Can I take CoPP first and later on consider adding two more modules/ subjects to complete a Diploma?

No. A student is expected to decide either they enrol for a CoPP or DoES upon registration. A CoPP will not be allowed to be absorbed to a Diploma package based on Committee for Private Education (CPE) rules.

Am I allowed to change from a Diploma to a CoPP?

Yes. A student who initially enroled for a Diploma and decided to take CoPP eventually is allowed to downgrade.

What will be the title of the Diploma will I be receiving?

A candidate will be awarded Diploma of Educational Studies. Based on the 3 subjects successfully completed, he / she will be given title options to be printed on the Cert.

The following are the different titles:

  • Diploma of Educational Studies – Creative Language Arts
  • Diploma of Educational Studies – Early Years Enrichment Education
  • Diploma of Educational Studies – Effective Communication in Education
  • Diploma of Educational Studies – Enrichment Enterprise
  • Diploma of Educational Studies – Speech & Drama
  • Diploma of Educational Studies – Teaching Innovation and Creativity
  • Diploma of Educational Studies – Phonics and Early Literacy

On top of the Diploma Cert, he / she will receive Certificate of Attendance + a transcript for each successfully completed module/ subject

What is the age requirement for the Enrichment courses?

At least 18 years old and above.

I am already a Senior Citizen, can I still enrol?

Of course! Knowledge is for all seasons.

How many months am I allowed to finish the Diploma course?

12 months. You are required to complete the 3 Core Certificate Modules plus submit your dissertation paper within a year.

Can I switch class schedules, of same course/ module?

It is NOT encouraged especially that teachers have different styles and methods in teaching and you may find it a challenge to adjust. But under such circumstances that it leaves you no choice, an administrative fee of $100 is chargeable and you will be advised on the next class schedule within 6 months.

What type of assessment(s) does the Cert has?

All participants will be assessed through Forum participation, class presentation, lesson planning, peer teaching, and theory examination.

What type of exams does the Diploma have?

On top of the assessments of the individual module, you are required to write a dissertation paper of 1,500 words. Guidelines are provided by the Centre.

Is it difficult to pass examinations?

There are no difficult tasks as long as you follow the trainer’s instructions, tips and guidelines, and do your best.

If I have only a certificate, will it help me to apply teaching jobs and other related sectors?

You may want to tie up with service providers in the market that caters to enrichment/life skills programs for the primary and secondary schools and you can explore other opportunities from there.

Do you provide job opportunities?

We have a forum where our students and graduates can access to schools and related organizations that advertise openings for teaching/ training positions.

Can I teach in government schools?

The Cert or Diploma that you earn is recognized in private tuition centres, private schools (International Schools) and service providers. Through the latter you may just end up teaching an enrichment course in a government school.

What is the difference between Early Childhood Education with the Educational Studies?

Early Childhood education specializes in formally educating children ages 1 year and 18 months to 6 years old. Enrichment programmes are value added programmes which build on the core curriculum in schools. They focus not merely on academic content but also on developing the learner’s cognitive, affective, psychomotor and meta-cognitive skills in a fun, interactive and engaging manner. These skills are imperative for a child to build personal self-confidence and practice techniques that help him excel, resulting in a well-rounded education.

Can I come for trial lessons?

You may sit-in for one live workshop/ session for at least 30 to 45 min and experience for yourself how the particular module is run. This is free of charge.

Upon completion of the course will I be able to teach immediately using the cert?

There are schools that strongly recognize the cert from LTTC, UK. If you have yet to gather teaching experience, you may want to start handling small group tuition and later on attach yourself to a Centre and schools.

Will G I G provide more training before we start to apply for a job?

GIGIS can extend consultancy support after candidates have completed his or her studies at the Centre. As to formal training, the individual candidate can opt to attach themselves in schools/organizations as volunteers or assistants to build their network.

FAQ's - Common

I am a mother, and no background in teaching or training, can I enrol in your programme?

Yes. Teaching and education is for everyone- parents, entrepreneurs, corporate workers, accountants, engineers, doctors, labourers, etc. Most of our participants either want to have a shift in their career or want personal upgrading.

We have a lot of mothers who enrol with the intention of learning techniques and methods in how to personally teach their children.

What is the minimum qualification/ requirement for the programme?

A minimum of 3 GCE “O” Levels and any other recognised Certificate, Diploma/Degree. We can also accept at our discretion mature candidates by interview and proficiency test.

I only have N Level, am I qualified?

Yes, provided you sit for and pass our in-house proficiency test for us to assess your level of competence.

Is there a government subsidy to assist me in my payment mode?

In addition to our own in-house instalment plans and promotions, you can apply Skills Future Credit. Terms and conditions apply.

Where is GIGIS?

GIGIS is now located at

190 Changi Road,
MDIS Building,
Singapore 419974.

Nearest MRT Station is Eunos

How established is GIGIS?

GIGIS has been in active operation since 2003 and is growing in terms of number of graduates and courses offered. To date, we have graduated more than 3500 students and the number is still growing strong.

What happens if I miss my lessons or has been absent from class(es)?

The forum, a venue for online discussions, will keep you updated on what happened in the class. The trainer will post the latest classroom activities and assignments in the forum.

Does the school allow students to bring home in-house course materials before class starts for advance reading?

All course materials are given only on the first day of class. However, for TESOL students, they can do advance reading on language books written by Jeremy Harmer and Jim Scrivener.

What are the payment modes?

We allow students to make payment via Instalment plans.

Payments via Cash, NETS and Online Funds Transfer are all accepted.